Ensuring safety when working around your roof is critical, whether engaged in a practical task or simply enjoying a recreational activity. As the holiday season approaches, many enjoy decorating their homes’ exteriors with festive decorations and lights, adding a touch of elegance and ambiance. Rogue Valley Roofing encourages safety measures that will make for a joyful season!
It has become a tradition for numerous families to embark on drives around town during the holidays, marveling at the creativity displayed in the adorned homes. If you plan on participating in this tradition by embellishing your home’s exterior, it’s crucial to prioritize safety. Here are five essential safety tips to follow:
- Use a Stable Ladder: Use a sturdy ladder placed on a flat surface when decorating. A wobbly ladder on uneven ground increases the risk of falls, particularly when handling electrical cords.
- Wear Proper Footwear: If you need to climb onto the roof to install decorations, wear footwear with ample traction and tread. This is vital for maintaining stability and reducing the risk of slipping.
- Inspect Lights for Damage: Before stringing lights, thoroughly examine them for any signs of damage. Frayed cords, dislocated plugs, broken bulbs, or other issues can cause a safety hazard and lead to injuries.
- Check Extension Cords: Ensure that any extension cords you plan to use are in good condition and free from damage. Damaged cords can be a fire hazard and compromise the safety of your holiday display.
- Proper Storage: During the off-season, store strands of lights and extension cords in a plastic storage tub with a secure lid. This precaution helps prevent damage from rodents, ensuring that your decorations remain in good condition and safe to use in subsequent seasons.
By sticking to these safety guidelines, you can enjoy the holiday tradition of decorating your home while minimizing the risk of accidents and injuries. Prioritizing safety ensures you and your family a joyful and secure festive season.