Many people enjoy decorating the outside of their home this time of year. Putting holiday cheer and lights on the outside of your home is a fun way to add elegance and ambiance.
In fact, many families make it a tradition to take a drive around town during the holiday season and look at the various homes that are decorated.
If you are planning on adding holiday decorations and lights to the outside of your home this year, make sure that you follow these safety tips:
- Make sure that you use a sturdy ladder that is set on a flat surface. A wobbly ladder or one that is on an uneven surface will surely lead to a fall, and while you are holding onto electrical cords that is a recipe for disaster.
- Make sure that you wear the proper footwear that has plenty of traction and tread. This is especially true if you are going to be climbing on top of your roof to install any part of your holiday decorations.
- Make sure that the lights that you are stringing are in good shape and don’t have any damage. Frayed cords, dislocated plugs, broken light bulbs or any other kind of damage can lead to injury.
- Make sure that any extension cords that you plan to use are in good shape and don’t have any damage.
- During the off season when strands of lights and extension cords are stored, make sure you keep them in a plastic storage tub that has a lid on it to avoid damage from rodents.