The gutters that line the eaves of your home’s roof have an important function, funneling water off of your roof and away from your home. This helps you prevent many damaging and expensive issues for your home. If you have left your gutters clogged and unaddressed for a few months, it’s a good idea to thoroughly clean them before the autumn season arrives, and leaves start to fill them up. There are a few problems that clogged gutters can easily cause if left unchecked for too long:
- Your gutters may break. If the debris in your gutters is preventing water from draining correctly, eventually they may become too heavy and break at weak points. Cleaning your gutters is a good time to inspect brackets and fasteners to ensure stability.
- Leaks can cause water damage to your home’s walls. When water cannot flow through your gutters, they will eventually fill up and allow water to seep back into your eaves or into your wall. This can easily lead to expensive water damage that’s difficult to fix.
- Clogged gutters can lead to mold growth. Mold loves warm, moist environments in which it can thrive. If you leave your gutters clogged for too long, they will eventually become a hotbed for mold growth.
- Spillage from clogged gutters can saturate the ground around your home, potentially leading to damage to your lower level and foundation. Too much water around the base of your home is a leading cause of basement flooding and water damage that will be expensive to fix.
- Water from clogged gutters can also damage your windows, doors, and fascia around your home.
These are only a few of the most common problems that clogged gutters can cause. If you need a solution to make cleaning your gutters easier, or if you have noticed damage to your roof due to poor gutter maintenance, Rogue Valley Roofing in Medford, OR can help. Contact us today to learn more about the gutter maintenance solutions we offer.